A sound investment strategy is critical to helping your money grow and, ideally, outpace inflation. However, if you’re like many people, you may not have the time or the inclination to analyse how different investments or securities may fit into your portfolio and you may wonder whether you’re investing appropriately to meet your financial goals.
This is one of the main reasons why contracting the services of a financial planner can help you expertly manage and grow your wealth as well as make critical decisions to help you achieve your financial goals.
Clarify Your Investment Goals
Before you invest your money, it’s important to identify and prioritise your financial goals, assess your risk tolerance and understand your investment options. A financialplanner can help you sort through your options and invest appropriately. Some questions to consider:
- What needs and dreams are you saving for? Retirement, a home, education?
- When will you need the money you plan to invest now?
- What is your risk tolerance? Are you willing to invest in stocks that may rise and fall in value in the short term, but have the potential to deliver larger returns in the long run? Or would you feel better if your money were invested more conservatively?
- Do you understand how different investment vehicles (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, real estate, etc.) work? And the potential tax impact of each?
Develop A Strategy
Working with a financial planner can help you:
- Assess your financial situation. Create a clear picture of your current financial situation, including analysing your investment timeframe and your risk tolerance.
- Understand investing options, such as investment types and accounts, to help you make decisions that are right for you.
- Apply diversification. Invest in a variety of assets to distribute and help reduce risk.
- Allocate your funds. Spread your investments among different asset categories, including stocks, bonds, cash and real estate, a process known as asset allocation. This also helps dilute risk.
- Monitor your progress. Revisit and re-allocate your portfolio regularly to make sure your investments are still aligned with your current needs and future goals.
- Consider tax implications. Be aware of tax advantages as well as tax consequences so you can avoid paying unnecessary fees.
How ICGFP Can Help
Over time, your goals, dreams and risk tolerance may change. Factors outside of your control may also change. An ICGFP Financial Planner can help you revisit your investment strategy regularly, so you can stay in line with your long-term financial goals.